1.     What are the filing dates for US expat tax ?

Expatriates Tax Filing Due Dates for tax year 2017 (Returns filed in 2018):

  • April 15 - Due date for US federal income tax returns (if you are living abroad on April 15 your return gets a two month automatic extension until June 15). However, the deadline to pay tax is April 15. You will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by April 15.

  • June 15 - Due date for tax returns for expatriates living abroad on April 15.

  • October 15 – The tax payer may request for an extension by filing a form (Form 4868) with IRS by the original due date of April 15. The extended due date for Form 1040 returns is October 15.

  • December 15 – The US expat can also request for an additional extension by submitting a request. The extended Due Date for Form 1040 with additional extension request submitted is December 15.

2.     What should I do if I have not filed a U.S. tax return in many years ?

If you have not filed a U.S. income tax return for one or more prior years, it is in your best interest to become compliant. Per the IRS streamlined filing compliance procedures you are required to file three years of late tax returns and six years of FBARs, along with a certification that failure to file was not due to willful conduct.

3.     Can housing expenses be excluded or deducted?


Yes, it is possible to exclude and/or deduct some or all housing expenses when living overseas. e.g. Some of the expenses that might be deductible either in part or in whole are rent, repairs, utilities, insurance etc.

4.     Am I required to file State income tax returns?

It depends per the rules of the respective states. In most states, residents are required to file an income tax return annually. States have their own set of rules that determine who is a resident and you need to carefully understand these residency rules. If you have resided in a particular state for part of the year, you are still required to file a return for that year.